Wednesday, January 6, 2021

It’s the Little Things...

 

I’ve been incarcerated for almost 18-years, and during that time, I’ve asked, and been asked, more times then I can count what I planned to eat for my first meal once released from prison. Without hesitation, my answer has always been the same: while lasagna is, hands down, my favorite dish, it’s pizza I truly crave. To be specific, a large with sausage and extra cheese. The cheese melted all over the place, and stretching from the pie to your mouth as you lift to the slice away from the box, the steam rising from the center as it separates from the pack. I also wanted some fried chicken, extra crispy and a 2-liter of Coke. My mouth waters just thinking about it and I knew, I just knew that, on August 7th, 2020, I’d be out in the free world eating my first slice of pizza in well over 18-years, followed by an extra crispy drumstick and an ice cold Coke. Then COVID-19 hit.

I watched the COVID pandemic sweep throughout the world. No one, it seemed, was safe. Small “mom and pop” stores all over the world closed their doors, hoping and praying it was only temporary, only to later learn they’d been closed for so long there was simply no recovering. One after the other, businesses would shutter their doors, temporarily at first, and then permanently, and soon enough, bigger businesses were following suit. As I watched the drama unfolding, I began to realize that I’d be lucky to get a meal when I got out, let alone a slice of pizza, but then decisions were made by those in government that allowed restaurants, especially pizza places, to continue doing business during the COVID crisis, if they were willing to follow the guidelines. “All was saved,” I thought. In just a few weeks, I’d be out of here and having my first slice of pizza, sauce and cheese sliding down my chin as I stuffed 18-years worth of missed opportunities down my gullet, but then the prison system decided to have a laugh at my expense.

Some of my readers already know that I played a role in convincing the CDCR to give everyone a credit of 12-weeks towards our prison sentences. Naturally, I thought I’d be one of the ones getting the credit. After all, I hadn’t received a rules violation in well over 13-years, had been a model slave and was mere months away from the house as it was. Instead, they chose to sit on my credit issuance for a week, and then issued me only 48 of the 84 days, claiming they still needed to provide my accusers with 60-days notice. Well, not being able to access the law library, I had no idea they were full of it, but by the time I completed the appeals process, I would have been home anyway, or so I thought, so why bother. Don’t get me wrong, I filed anyway, I was just never able to  complete the process because, as I predicted, they refused to give it the urgency it merited and I was forced to stay in prison for another couple of weeks. No matter, right? I’d still be eating that slice of pizza, it would just take me a few more weeks. Did I mention that CDCR wasn’t the only one about to have a laugh at my expense?

So, there I was, just two days away from being released and I’m told to “roll it up.” “Roll it up? For what,” I wondered. Well, it turns out that my sentence may be ending in a mere two days, but the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office had plans for me, big plans. Turns out that I fell into a category of people that, when their sentence expires, they’re subject to being put away for the rest of their lives in a mental health hospital. Well, shit, let’s call a “spade” a “spade,” shall we? You can call it what you want, but at the end of the day, it’s a secure facility with guards provided by the State’s prison system (CDCR), with rules and regulations out the wazoo, without any ability to come and go, let alone as you please, and with inmates serving prison sentences. No matter how you spin it, it’s prison. Anyway, according to the mental health evaluations served on the court, I suffer from something called an Antisocial Personality Disorder, which doesn’t mean someone who doesn’t like to socialize. Essentially, it means someone who doesn’t care about rules or regulations, someone who doesn’t care about anyone else’s feelings or rights, someone who, basically, can’t stay out of trouble to save their life, and since I was in prison for a sexually based offense (regardless of the fact that I was innocent of this particular charge), I fell into that special category meriting special attention once their sentence was complete. Never mind the fact that I haven’t been in trouble for well over 13-years, and forget about the fact that the “evaluator” didn’t even bother reading my mental health file. According to them, I was dangerous and the public needed protecting.

So, there I was, mere hours from tasting that first slice of pizza, only to have that melted cheese snatched away from my grasp at the last moment. The extradition officer was nice enough, even buying me 2 small cheeseburgers and a small fry from Burger King (were their small cheeseburgers always that bad?!), but it wasn’t the pizza I’d had my heart set on for so many years, and then HCCF decided to have a laugh of their own at my expense.

HCCF, in case you didn’t know, means the Humboldt County Correctional Facility. Now, technically speaking, they’re not allowed to subject me to punitive of confinement. The reason for this is simple. The U.S. Constitution prohibits double jeopardy, which is a fancy way of saying you can’t be punished twice for the same allegation. Since I’d already served my prison sentence, (in full), I couldn’t be punished again, but the law does allow for someone to be placed in a mental health facility because, allegedly, it’s not meant to be punishment. Well, someone clearly forgot to explain to the HCCF that I wasn’t supposed to be punished, because the first thing they did was throw me into solitary confinement. The first 14 days were for “quarantine,” never mind the fact that I’d been on quarantine for months, or that I’d just given 2 separate negative tests for COVID-19. I was in solitary confinement, allowed out for 30-minutes a day. When my quarantine ended, I was moved to the hole, where I was released a few hours later because there wasn’t an outlet for my medical device, but even then, I was just released to another building where I continued to remain in solitary confinement. After weeks of arguing, fussing and fighting, they finally agreed to treat me the same as any other person in here, which was a major step up from where I was, but still punitive.

So, I’m sitting there on the phone one day, and I hear the woman who runs the mental health program talking about how she’s going to throw a Christmas party for the guys on her wing. She’s bringing in pizza, chicken and their choice of soda. I’m guessing you might be able imagine the thoughts that ran through my mind in that moment. If they’re getting pizza, surely someone will slide me a slice, right? I mean, after all, I’ve already served my time, and they haven’t, but not a chance. They completely ignored me, and when I asked, I was told, emphatically, “no, not a chance.” Surely they’re joking, right? Surely they’re not going to bring in pizza, chicken and soda and not share, right? I mean, even if they didn’t know I was innocent, so what? I’ve paid my debts to society, in full, but they could have cared less. On Christmas Eve, she brought everyone on her tier pizza, chicken and soda, and I could only watch and drool as my dreams, once again, passed me by. This incident only reinforced something I came to realize some time ago: at the end of the day, it’s the little things you miss the most.

 

Shawn L. Perrot

826 4th St.

Eureka, CA 95501

shawnLperrot@outlook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Just released!!     I was incarcerated for almost 20 years  for a crime I didn't commit. I could have stayed bitter and resentful, get...